Friday, December 28, 2012

Book review - How to survive when the bottom drops out by JT Sather


How to survive when the bottom drops out by JT Sather





Where do I begin in writing this review?  I think I shall start with this statement:

The book is much like the man, fascinating to get to know. 

I have been extremely lucky to have the author Jt, as a friend on facebook, as well as getting to read and review his book.  And I completely loved it!  This is a great book!  And I’m not usually one to go in for non-fiction books.  But this is definitely one I would enjoy re-reading.  And I most certainly hope he writes another book, for I would be there in line to read it.

One thing the author told me is that he wanted to book to feel more like a conversation than a read.  Well, he succeeded.  That’s what makes this book so much fun to read.  Have you ever sat down with a relative or good friend, who has had a fascinating life, and just listened to the stories they have to tell?  Well if you have ever done that and enjoyed it, then you will love this book. 

The author told me that this book was the first thing he had written since high school.  Well you wouldn't know it to read it.  He also told me that he sort of wrote the book as a guide for men, and had no idea that women would like it too.  So ladies, if you are trying to understand the male animal better, checking out Jt’s book would definitely help. 

So let me continue this review by sharing some quotes from the book with you: 
Author’s Note - The names have not been changed to protect the innocent. There aren't any.
Then one year later the factory my wife and I both worked in closed down. Oh, shit! Now what?
The Midwest was pretty tight in those days. The decision had to be made.
“Go West young moron!”
So off to Las Vegas we went . . .
And that’s just from the very beginning, I’m talking the first 2-3 pages of the book.  Now here’s a quote which gives an example of the kind of common-sense advice which is peppered throughout the book:
I learned tons about how to build everything under the sun and how to make loads of money doing it. It would have been handy if I had learned how to save it.
Here is a quote from the book where, when you read it, you go - ‘Oh yeah!  I've been there’ --
Have you ever done one of those silly tests for a job, guidance counselor, or your parole officer where they offer you a ridiculous hypothetical question, and then right before you answer they interject with “Now there is no right or wrong answer?” Bullshit. You can bet your ass there is.
And to give you more of a flavor for the book, here is another quote:
Looking back at it, I realize now that if I would have worried more about myself instead of everyone else, I probably would not have been evicted and we would've still had a place to live.
It’s become my golden rule. You see, by concentrating on yourself there is a byproduct. You will simply have the things to offer others in need without such apprehension.
Also throughout the book, there are definitions, or Jt-nitions - as I would name them:
Keeping your Karma rolling is going to be a major factor when you rebuild the next time.
[ Karma: the force generated by a person’s actions held to perpetuate transmigration and in its ethical consequences to determine the nature of the person’s next existence. Holy shit, don’t piss her off! ] 
And lines like this one:
P. S., never leave home without a parachute. You never know when you’re going to be thrown off the plane. 
All the ladies out there will love this chapter:
Chapter 12: Learn How to Dance
First of all, it’s something every man should know how to do.
And there are tons and tons more I could quote from the book.  Gems of knowledge shared, wonderful stories, great common sense to live by, and more.  But if you want to know more, you just need to get the book and read it.  I highly encourage it!

Now I want to close with this video.  This is for you Jt.  And for those who have really read the book, you’ll get it too.  And if you haven’t read the book, go get one, read it, and then you too will get it.

Styx - Come Sail Away

No comments:

Post a Comment