Thursday, October 17, 2013

Book review - Violation by Wendy Cartmell

Book Review of:
Violation
By
Wendy Cartmell

My overall star rating

5 stars




About the book:

Young women are being raped and murdered
A young soldier is raped on Aldershot Garrison
Are the two connected?
Sgt Major Crane, a Branch detective in the Royal Military Police is unwillingly dragged into an Aldershot Police investigation after a young girl is raped and murdered, because witnesses describe the killer as a young soldier. He is also dealing with his own case, the repeated rape and bullying of a soldier on Aldershot Garrison. Can Crane find the murderer before he strikes again? Will Crane bring the rapist to justice?

Book creation ratings:
Overall total -- 29 out of a possible 30
-- Story & characters --10
-- Cover & title -- 10
-- Editing -- 9
* based on a 1-10 scale with:  1-4, poor; 5-7, good; 8-10, very good.*

My 5 point review:

1. Classic crime drama in book form - If you love the crime drama shows on tv (I do), then you’ll like this book.  Think along the lines of Law and Order in book form
2. Sgt. Major Crane is an endearing character - I love this character.  He’s great.  He’s the type of book detective that you can easily get hooked on.  I’ve already snagged a couple more of her books that I ran across on free promos.
3. Part about his wife and the new baby particularly good - Along with the main story of the crime series that he’s trying to solve, there’s a sub-story of him and his wife and their new baby, that I just love.  I mean, here he is trying to catch this rapist/murderer, and he makes time to help his wife in dealing with a new baby.
4. Other characters great too - Sgt. Major Crane doesn’t do it alone.  The other characters in the book are great too.  The writer has surrounded him with a great cast.
5. Put me in mind of Sherlock Holmes books when reading it - I’m a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, and love the books.  These books put me somewhat in mind of those that Conan Doyle wrote.  Could Sgt. Major Crane be the Holmes of our modern era?  He’s the best candidate I’ve ran across lately.

Reader Recommendations
Genre -- mystery, murder mystery
Age recommendations -- 17 and up
Sex content rating -- none, no sex scenes
Violence rating -- mild, crime scenes described, but no actual crimes described

Interested in my reviewing your book?
Just follow the link and fill out the form.

No comments:

Post a Comment