Thursday, May 25, 2017

Review of Call to Arms by Randy Lindsay

Reviewed by -- Shadow Walker

Book Review of -- Call to Arms: Nations Fall by Randy Lindsay        

Overall star rating --- 3        

Check out the book on:
Amazon

Goodreads

Book creation ratings
Overall total, out of 30 -- 18        
-- Story & characters -- 3        
-- Cover & title -- 7        
-- Editing & formatting -- 8        
* based on a 1-10 scale with:  1-4, poor; 5-7, good; 8-10, very good.*

The review --
The first five lives of the story are the most important part of the book for me. The author either sucks me into the story or I give up on it. The only thing I really enjoyed in the first 46 pages of the book was the introduction of the President and Vice President into the story. I was ready to stop reading it until business picked up on page 47.

I found my mind drifting countless times during the first 46 pages of the novel. I was interested in the political, social, and military plots of the story, but the religious angle turned me off. The characters never really grabbed me and I never really connected with any of them.

I was happy that two characters survived the ordeal and the ending was good. The second half of the book swings along at a nice pace and held my interest. I didn't appreciate using the Mormon Church in the fashion the author did. It totally turned me off to an important part of the story line.

I wasn't a fan of the author's writing style. The imagery just never grabbed in this book. I noticed several sentences that suffered from poor word phrasing in the book. It was a well edited book. It's not a book that I'd read again, but it's worth reading for the ending. Enjoy!!!

Reader Recommendations
Genre -- Military Fiction.        
Age recommendations -- Fifth grade through adulthood.        
Sex content rating -- None.        
Violence rating -- Mild for a war story setting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment