Friday, June 2, 2017

Review of -- Tom Paine Maru by L. Neil Smith

Reviewed by -- Shadow Walker

Book Review of --
Tom Paine Maru by L. Neil Smith 

Check out the book on:
Amazon

Overall star rating --- 1.5

Book creation ratings
Overall total, out of 30 -- 25        
-- Story & characters -- 8        
-- Cover & title -- 9        
-- Editing & formatting -- 8        
* based on a 1-10 scale with:  1-4, poor; 5-7, good; 8-10, very good.*

The review --
I'm sure as you look at the above numbers, you must think me mad. How can a book receive a 25 on creation ratings and yet only a 1.5 star rating? The character development was very strong in the book, but the story made it very hard to read and stay focused. I equate the pace as setting on a boat and watching an iceberg melt. The cover is very inviting and I thought it was well edited. It showed the efforts of some very talented people, but the story just didn't work for me.

My emotional reaction to the book was, "will it ever end?" I am a "Trekie" from childhood and loved Star Wars, but this book wasn't in their class. The scenes played on and on. The author loved using descriptive words, but they never moved the action along. I tried hard to picture the action in my head. I wanted to get drawn into the story, so I tried leaving the book for several hours and come at it anew. After six attempts I decided to read it as I found it. This harsh review is the fruit of those failed efforts.

The ending was much like the whole story and ended on a flat thud. I reread the ending twice but I never found a reason to get excited. Alas, I just didn't get excited.

Although I didn't like it, I wouldn't discourage anybody from reading it. Books are like ice cream. You may not like my favorite flavor, but it's still ice cream. Read the book for yourself and see how you like it. Enjoy!!!        

Reader Recommendations
Genre -- Science Fiction/Adventure        
Age recommendations -- High School and up.        
Sex content rating -- None.        
Violence rating -- Mild to Moderate.           

No comments:

Post a Comment