Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Review of -- A Straits Settlement by Brian Stoddart

Reviewed by -- Shadow Walker

Book Review of --
A Straits Settlement: A Superintendent Le Fanu Mystery by Brian Stoddart

Overall star rating --- 1.5        
-- Story & characters -- 4        
-- Cover & title -- 7        
-- Editing & formatting -- 8        

The review --
I was never into this book at all. Watching paint dry would be a better use of my time so I tapped out about a quarter the way through it. The author spent so much time on the mundane that I never really got a good idea where the story was going. The characters weren't interesting and lost me after the first page. I guess mysteries set in history just isn't my cup of tea? The editing seemed good but the editor just didn't have much to work with in this book. Hoping for a better read with the next book. Enjoy.                         

Genre -- Historical Mystery        
Age recommendations -- 15        
Sex content rating -- None        
Violence rating -- None

No comments:

Post a Comment